Dot Earth Defender - Features implemented, by version:
- Fixed (until the format got changed again...)so it'll work after a fashion with the NYTimes's new (paginated comments) awful wordpress format
(sept 7 2008) - HOWEVER alas I haven't (yet?) been able to glue
the subpages back together successfully.
And permalinks to comments on other pages won't work well.
And I did this one in a rush, so the code is a bit of a mess with piles of debug stuff, sections that don't work but might some day, etc
- Categorized some commenters.
- The blog's front page now always shows the 'recent posts' section, in sidebar.
- There's a simpler way to get a list of recent posts. We use it now.
- Simple bugfix to 3.1.0 (the initial 'prompt' popup window was too long).
- User-friendly recent-posts-list with about a week of posts.
- The script now displays a notice on the page to let you know it's running.
- Sped up page loading (now we don't re-render on every change)
- Script now runs on blogposts even if they don't have any comments yet.
- Bugfix; the "filter comments?" q wasn't being automatically presented to new users.
- Generalized it to work on other NYTimes blogs (no distinct commenter categories for the others, though)
- For Dot Earth, made the "filter/don't filter" choice clearer
- Bugfix, "# 56" and the like weren't always being recognized as comment#s.
- Bugfix, it got confused if someone with a . in his name was recommended.
- Bugfix(i think), it was duplicating its DED data if, upon Submit, CommentsValidator.validateForm() failed (e.g. due to no email addr).
- Added some names to the default D.E. namelists.
- Added the "Google search for comments by this author" link back in, in a more appropriate spot (namely after the author's comment links, in the "show who's commented" section). It now opens a new window (or tab) for the 'search' page.
- Many numeric lists are now in numeric order.
- Added some names to the default namelists.
- Removed the 'Google search' link for commenter's name - it's counterintuitive and irritating.
- Fixed the 'recommend' functionality, which was somewhat broken.
- A comment by someone using D.E.D. and using their real name now shows up (to DED users) with a 'real name' asterisk by their name
- Relabeled 'realists' as 'regulars', shorthand for 'regulars who aren't global warming deniers'.
- Added your humble script author, temporarily i hope, to this "regulars" category (we need a critical mass of comment-recommenders, to get that ball rolling)
- Clicking on an author of a comment now takes you to the list of comments they've made on the current page; clicking on their name in _that_ list takes you to the Google search for comments they (might) have made on Dot Earth as a whole.
- Added "dotearth.Dblogs.nytimes.com/*" to the pages DED should run on; the 'annotation' links on the Gore speech post went there.
- Re-fixed, AGAIN, the "linkify references to prior comments" behavior. Sure hope I finally got it right.
- Recommends should now (correctly) recommend the desired comment even if its comment index changes, ie if an earlier comment is deleted.
- Fixed a bug in the fix to the inelegant double-linkage of earlier comment#s - was overlooking the last digit of the comment#;
- Used highlighter on some convenient links and buttons, to raise their visibility
- Script now tries to re-capitalize Author name, if you're replying to their comment.
- Slight improvements in setting the script preferences (since it bit me...) - now you can Cancel.
- Fixed inelegant double-linkage of earlier comment#s (that you probably wouldn't ever notice).
- Added a way to import recommendations & unrecommendations (which - if
you haven't Submitted your comment yet - would previously just vaporize
if you refreshed the page. Now, if for some reason you need to leave
the page, copy your recs from the "View my Recs and Unrecs" field at bottom
of the comment form (&paste somewhere safe), then when you want to put them back,
click on the "Import Recs and Unrecs" button just above it, and paste them back in.
- Bugfix, the links that the script adds to your comment weren't ideal -
they weren't necessarily permalinks to the comment you had in mind,
and they didn't work for non-script-using readers.
Now they should work ok, and be good permalinks.
- More/less buttons to just show the head of long comments.
('Expand all', at top, will expand them all)
- Our host's in-comment replies are now highlighted in orange.
- Shortened the script verbiage added to a comment upon submit.
- Eliminated pesky out-of-place vertical line.
- Longer comment excerpts allowed, in "reply to this comment".
- Sleeker 'dot earth data' format.
- The Submit button is now UNDER the preview pane, to prevent accidental Submits.
- The default script settings values have been chosen so that they
_don't_ filter the comments, so - unless
you choose to filter the comments - you'll see them in all their
(I choose to filter them.)
You can change these settings at any time.
- Added script settings/preferences that you can set, from a dialogbox
- Added a button to let you view all your settings (& it tells you how/where to change them)
- Reformatted (widened) the comments so there's less wasted whitespace.
- Added links to help you navigate around the page.
- A complete list of commenters, before the comments, color-coded by category,
with links to their comments
- Links that should be buttons _are_ now buttons
- "Reply to comment" button is enhanced - now if you select text in a
comment, then click the Reply button, it'll take you down to the comment field
and enter your short selected excerpt as a quote, along with a link back to the comment.
- It also provides handy links to let _you_ jump back & forth between
the comment(s) and your in-progress reply.
- A new comment field - a "this is my real name" checkbox. For now it does nothing...
- Clicking Submit automatically pulls the script-solicited info
(realname,recs&unrecs) into your comment, in coded form.
- The script will now see you as a Trusted commenter, if you haven't already been categorized.
- 2.3 was too buggy and not recommended.
- added a "Reply to comment" link for each comment - makes it easy for you to reply
to multiple comments in just 1 of yours; and you can click on the link that it generated,
in the preview pane, to return to the comment you're replying to.
Usage: select the sentence or 2 that you want to respond to, copy it,
click the Reply link,
paste the text into the spot provided in the entry form, say what you want,
hit Preview, click on the
comment's link in the Preview pane to jump back up to it, repeat.
- Another tweak to the "I recommend..." syntax, to help distinguish it from your own text.
- added "Resize all" links, at top of comments
Dot Earth Defender feature history
- PREVIEW MODE in the comment submission form
- 1-click "rec/unrec" for each comment (actually a minimum of 2 clicks,
since you need to click a button down in the comment form in
order to send your recs to [the end of] your comment.)
- 'shrink' and 'expand' links for each comment, to toggle visibility
- Simplified the "I recommend..." syntax.
- v 1.6 Added safemode, to clamp down on the bots.
- v 1.51:
- 11pm small bugfix (author #0 was getting a free pass..)
- much improved display of 'TBVthreading' and 'recommends'
- recs/unrecs now link forward and back (to recommender and to recommendee)
- massive behind-the-scenes code reorg and cleanup
- Improved the display of threading, recs and unrecs (Sat 6/28/08)
- fixed a couple of parsing bugs
- Renamed the script (was originally 'Real Earth') (and reset the version#).
- It's value-neutral - you can choose (via filtermode) who you do and don't trust
- Rudimentary threading (comments have a link to their replies, and vice versa)
- Color-coded comment cross-referencing of recs, unrecs & replies
- A comment can now Reply to multiple earlier comments (previously it could only Reply to one.).
- You can recommend/unrecommend comments (via hand editing a string in the Comment form)